Thursday, October 15, 2009

blog action day!


I woke up this morning to learn that today is Blog Action Day, a day in which over 10, 000 blogs unite to discuss a single issue. This year that issue is a very pressing one which deeply affects all of us: climate change. I've met a lot of people in my life who don't care much about this as an issue because it may not affect us too adversely in our lifetimes. Dietrich Boenhoffer said the test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children, and when I think of climate change I think of what we can do to make this a world I will feel happy bringing children into. I want them, and their children, and their children's children to have a chance to enjoy this beautiful world just like I have.

So when I think of the actions we personally can take to affect climate change, I think of David Suzuki and his Suzuki Foundation.
While he may not have won the Nobel Peace Price this year, he received the alternate nobel (whatever that means!) for his work on climate change. The Suzuki foundation is all about accessible means for every man and woman t0 affect change on a personal level. Check out their page on climate change! Some of the following is from their website.

Here's some ideas on what we can do!
  • Reduce your home heating use - grab a sweater or a cup of tea instead of turning up the thermostat!
  • Walk, bike, or carpool - my friend has a little carpool jingle that she sings. It goes "HOV, two friends and me!" So grab some friends and carpooool!
image here
  • Recycle, recycle, recycle. And, if you can, compost.
  • Whenever possible, choose foods that are local, organic, and low on the food chain. It gets harder in winter when the farmer's markets close, I know, but if you have the choice choose close to home! It's also good for your economy :)
  • Plan a green wedding! (love this one!)

And a few other easy things we can do on a daily basis to reduce our environmental impact:
  • Reuse grocery bags and consider investing in a decent crop of reusable bags. You can even get cute ones like these adorable RVA totes!
  • Do your laundry in cold water, and use an eco-friendly detergent. I use Nellie's and it works just as god as any other detergent I have ever tried! It's also adorable.
  • Use eco-friendly cleaners, and try using rags whenever possible instead of paper towels.
  • Unplug appliances when you're not using them, and turn off any lights you don't need.
  • Find a coffee shop that brews organic, fair-trade coffee.
  • Use a travel mug for your morning coffee! Often you can score a larger size for the price of a small, or receive a cup discount. They also keep your bevvy hot longer, and they can also be adorable. This one even looks like a paper cup, but don't be decieved!

There are tons of other things out there than we can do each and every day that will help. So I challenge you to get out there, do some research, and start living as sustainably as possible. And join me and thousands of others on October 24 to take a stand against climate change. Learn more here! I'll be attending this event in my community:


So get out there, find some fun things to do to help preserve the planet for our children! And, if you have a blog, register here, and if you don't, sign the petition here!

xo karly

1 comment:

  1. i love reading/hearing/talking about ways to make the earth a better place!! great post!
    xo

    ReplyDelete